SpellChecking

From Request Tracker Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

External tools to check spelling: Google Toolbar or Firefox 2.0. English only. Firefox can work with Aspell, but it has some installation problems on Windows.

Please, extract info from MailingLists

See discussions:

There is may be other on the list, please find it and past at least link here. Hope someone will extract info from discussions and publish it here.

Alternative (added 28th October 2005 by Kirk Averett at Webmail.us):

I have integrated the free www.jacuba.com AJAX spell checker into RT for sending replies and making comments. A couple of our support techs who use RT all day have reported problems that I was unable to reproduce. We are a reasonably high volume RT implementation with 3,000+ tickets a month, so I'm not sure if part of the issue might be load.

If that doesn't scare you off, here is how to replicate what I did:

Change Elements/Header file to reference the Jacuba javascript and load it as appropriate

a) if you haven't already made a custom Header file, I did so on my system with:

mkdir /usr/local/rt3/local/html

mkdir /usr/local/rt3/local/html/Elements
cp /usr/local/rt3/share/html/Elements/Header /usr/local/rt3/local/html/Elements/

b) edit the Header file and add a couple of lines:

Just before </HEAD> add a new line:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.jacuba.com/service/checker/-/-/' defer='defer'></script>

Just after: if (tmp.length > 0) tmp[tmp.length-1].focus();

Put in:
if (window.Jacuba) Jacuba.applyTo('element: TEXTAREA');

c) save the edits and restart your web server process to make sure it catches the same. On my RedHat Enterprise 3 system that is:

service httpd restart

To use the spell checker, simply start typing into and large text box. Words it doesn't recognize get the little red squiggly line underneath. Just right-click on a misspelled word to see a list of alternative words and the option to add the word to the dictionary.

You'll notice that it adds a bar to the bottom which might interfere with certain RT buttons. For instance, the Update Ticket button inside the Reply screen. To fix this, I added a couple of <br> tags to give the TEXTAREA box a little more room.

For those who want details:

cp /usr/local/rt3/share/html/Elements/MessageBox /usr/local/rt3/local/html/Elements/

edit the MessageBox file and add <br><br><br> just after the <textarea> tag and before the <%INIT>

Again, you might have to restart your web server to make the change stick.