You have now installed RT. But just installing it isn't enough. You have to configure it for your environment as well.
Until you configure RT, RT will not be able to send or receive email, nor will it be more than marginally functional. This is not an optional step. RT has many configuration options, and you should read ManualAdministration for a broader view, but here's a quick guide to things you should probably look at.
In its default configuration, RT uses an internal users database to keep track of who can access RT and who has which rights within the system. One of your first tasks should be to create users for anyone who will need to work with tickets within RT. Login as 'root' with password as 'password'.
Admin -> Users -> Create
For more details, see 'Users: Creating a user' in ManualAdministration.
GRANT USER RIGHTS
RT provides a rich access control system that allows rights to be granted to groups, individual users and users in specific roles.
To allow arbitrary remote users to submit tickets into a given queue by email, grant the system group Everyone the following rights by:
Admin -> Queues -> [select a Queue] -> Group Rights
If you intend to let ticket requestors use the requestor-mode web interface, you should grant the role of Requestor the right Show Ticket.
To make sure your staff can work with tickets, you should grant them all the following additional rights:
For more details, see Users: Granting user rights in ManualAdministration.
By default, RT has one queue called 'General'. You might want to change the values for this.
Admin -> Queues -> Select -> [select General]
You can even change its name, if you want, but if you do, make sure that your incoming mail aliases match it.
To create a new queue:
Admin -> Queues -> Create
For more details, see Queues in ManualAdministration.
SET UP SCRIPS
The default global Scrips installed with RT 3 are:
- On Create, Autoreply to Requestors with Global Template: Autoreply
- On Create, Notify AdminCcs with Global Template: Transaction
- On Correspond, Notify AdminCcs with Global Template: Admin Correspondence
- On Correspond, Notify Requestors and Ccs with Global Template: Correspondence
- On Correspond, Notify Other Recipients with Global Template: Correspondence
- On Comment, Notify AdminCcs as Comment with Global Template: Admin Comment
- On Comment, Notify Other Recipients as Comment with Global Template: Correspondence
- On Resolve, Notify Requestors with Global Template: Resolved
- On Correspond, Open Ticket with Global Template: Blank (this scrip replaces old built-in behavior that would automatically open tickets if privileged users replied to a new ticket or if anyone replied to a stalled or closed ticket.)