The best/easiest distribution for RT
People run RT on Arch Linux, Debian, FreeBSD, NetBSD, RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Solaris, SuSE, Gentoo, OpenBSD. That said, it's most widely deployed on Linux distributions based on either Debian or Red Hat, so you'll find the most resources and support if you can choose something in one of those two families (including CentOS, Fedora, and Ubuntu). The ManualInstallation page documents how to install from source there.
Generic Installation Guides
- ManualRequirements - software and knowledge you need to install RT.
- ManualInstallation - general overview of installation process and first time configuring.
- DevelopmentInstallation - HOWTO setup RT to run from a development directory
- Installation and Administration Guides - Request Tracker, Reporting and Asset Tracker
Platform-Specific Installation Guides
- Arch Linux
- CentOS7Install (CentOS 7.2.1511 install using Perl RPMs and CPANminus to source CPAN dependencies)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE):
Database Specific Notes
Web Server Specific Notes
Documents which explain why and which way, rather than how.